The small street is lined by the opulent villas of the new, or perhaps, not so new rich, some beautifully restored, some ugly modern condominiums, and other buildings of uncertain purpose. Liebermann Villa, built in 1909, was the summer residence of the painter Max Lieberman (1847-1935) and his wife Martha. The beautiful garden, destroyed after the war, has been carefully reconstructed, and the main features, so often painted by the artist, recreated. The front lawn offers a magical vista toward the lake. The first floor of the house, which includes the painter’s atelier, hosts regular exhibitions, currently a comparative study of Max Lieberman’s and Paul Klee’s visions of gardens.
The villa has been open as a museum since 2006. Renovation and maintenance of the house and garden are the work of the Max-Liebermann-Gesellschaft, founded in 1995.
All photos ©2018 Honoré Dupuis
Leave a Reply